If you need to have a tooth extracted, or if you plan on having an extraction in the future, it is of the utmost importance to plan in advance to ensure your recovery process has the best chance of success in as little time as possible. If you are a smoker, you should give up the bad habit immediately. If you cannot quit, at least stop smoking 48 hours before and after the procedure. Additional tips and advice for tooth extraction recoveries are as follows:
– Our dentists have loads of wonderful tried-and-true techniques for patients healing from tooth extraction, so take notice.
– Dentists are critical resources after your treatment phase should you need them for any reason regarding your recovery.
– Even though facial swelling is common after a tooth extraction, ice packs and medications from our dentists can be used to help eradicate any inflammation that arises. Never use more than the recommended dosage for medications given by our dentists.
– Rest is crucial after any surgery, and tooth extractions are no different, no matter how minute it may seem. Spend time getting plenty of rest and avoid working out for a few days after the extraction.
– To prevent choking, do not drink or eat any meals until the anesthesia has worn off.
Our team at Truman Village Family Dental focuses on a variety of oral health care treatments to suit all your needs. If you would like an oral exam from Dr. Turnbow and Dr. Jensen, please book an appointment to come see us at our dentist office in Independence, Missouri. We can be reached at 816-569-9800. It’s never too late to start taking steps to a healthier you!