TMJ (temporomandibular joint) disorders can cause intense pain, discomfort, and stiffness in the jaw, face, neck and shoulders. TMJ disorders can be caused by a variety of issues, including:
- Injury to the jaw, temporomandibular joint, or head and neck muscles
- Osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis in the TMJ area
- Grinding or clenching the teeth (bruxism)
Some typical symptoms of TMJ disorders include the following:
- A locked jaw
- Difficulty or pain when chewing
- Pain in the face, jaw joint area, in or around the ear, or neck and shoulders when you chew, speak or open your mouth
- Swelling in the face or jaw areas
- Frequent tension headaches or migraines
- Popping, clicking or grinding sounds in the jaw joint when you move your mouth
Dr. Tiffany Teegarden will thoroughly evaluate your circumstances and consult you to determine the optimal treatment for your TMJ disorder and dental needs. Our team may recommend straightforward self-care practices, stress management practices, a night guard or other treatments.
If you are experiencing pain and discomfort from a TMJ disorder, we encourage you to contact Truman Village Dental today at 816-569-9800 to schedule a consultation and learn more about treatment for TMJ in Independence, Missouri. Our experienced dentist and team look forward to meeting you and helping you find comfort in a solution.