Periodontal disease, also known as gum disease, is the process of tissue decay in our mouths brought on by harmful bacteria. Over time, the bacteria can damage our gums bad enough that our teeth can become loose and fall out. The good news is that it’s never too late to begin the fight against gum disease.
The more we do to battle the effects of gum disease, or to prevent it entirely, the healthier and safer our mouths will be. Here are some tip-top tips for preventing gum disease:
– Diabetes can increase your risk for gum disease, along with a host of other diseases.
– Avoid smoking or chewing tobacco at all costs. Tobacco can cause gum disease, and can even lead to cancer or death.
– Although you really cannot prevent hormonal changes, it is important to know that hormone changes in women and young girls can increase the chance for gingivitis to develop, which is an early stage of gum disease.
– Various medications can increase the risk of gum disease by causing your mouth to dry easier, preventing saliva from protecting your teeth and gums. Be sure to speak with your dentist at Truman Village Family Dental about what medications you may be taking.
– A poor diet will not only increase your risk for gum disease but it can also increase your risk for a host of other issues. Always maintain a healthy and balanced diet.
Gum disease has many stages of severity, many of which can be reversed. To learn more or to schedule a visit with Dr. Mark Jensen, you can call our office in Independence, Missouri, at 816-569-9800 today. Our team is ready to help get you the smile you’ve always wanted!